NRMM emission standard needs to be strengthen
In a recent policy briefing, the green group Transport & Environment (T&E) criticises the Commission’s proposal to revise the Non-Road Mobile Machinery (NRMM) directive. According to T&E, the proposal is worryingly weak and will fail to adequately address the burden on health caused by the diesel exhaust from these machines. To improve the proposal, T&E suggests it should:
- Harmonise emission limits of NRMM engines with those for heavy-duty trucks;
- Not favour specific fuel types by allowing higher emission limits;
- Have only one date (2019) for entry into force of all engine types;
- Make sure the existing fleet also cleans up; and,
- Reform the test procedure to better reflect real-life operating conditions.